Domestic Animals

Lost animals

If you have lost or have found a dog or cat, please contact Council's Law Enforcement Officer on 5258 1377.

Keeping animals and birds

Below is a list showing the maximum number of animals of different species that you may keep in a residential area. If you wish to keep any additional animals, you will need to apply for a permit.

Type of animal or bird

Maximum allowed on property
(without permit)





Aviary bird


Guinea pig


Domestic rabbit


Domestic mouse/rat






Cat curfew

All cats must be confined from sunset to sunrise to protect native wildlife and minimise public nuisance. Cat owners are also encouraged to place bells on their animals' collars to deter them from hunting native wildlife.

If you have a cat wandering on your premises, you may hire a cat trap from the Borough of Queenscliffe. A security deposit fee of $50.00 applies, which will be refunded when the trap is returned.

Dogs on beaches

Residents and visitors to Queenscliff and Point Lonsdale are reminded that summer timeshare restrictions for dogs on beaches are in force between 15 December and the last day of February each year, from 9:00am to 8:00pm. Dogs are not permitted on any beach (excluding Narrows Beach) during this time.

Outside of these times, dogs are permitted on the beach but must be under effective control by means of a lead.

This law does not include the Narrows Beach (also known as Dog Beach), which is an off-lead beach where dogs are permitted all year round.

Picking up after your dog

Dog Tidy Bag Dispensers are placed throughout the municipality and dog owners are reminded that it is your responsibility to pick up after your animal. Dog faeces poses a health risk not only for people but also for other dogs and it causes unsightly, smelly pollution. A penalty applies to anyone found not picking up after their dog.

Dogs secured to property

It is the dog owner's responsibility to ensure that dogs are securely confined in their property at all times. Ideally, the dog should be confined in the backyard and not in the area of the front door, because dog owners are legally required to provide safe access to their front door.

Dogs in front yards should be under supervision and are not to be left alone if there is no fence or gates are left open. Penalties apply.

Barking dogs

Council receives many complaints in relation to barking dogs. The excessive noise can be frustrating for neighbours, but owners may be unaware of or lack the skills to correct the problem. The Barking dogs page of this website provides information on why dogs might bark, possible solutions for the problem and steps you will need to take to lodge a complaint with Council.

Horses on public land

A permit must be obtained if you wish to bring a horse (or donkey) onto Council land. The person in charge of the animal must ensure that no excrement is left on Council land, public places or roads.

Preparing your animals for an emergency

A variety of disasters like bushfires, extreme weather and storms could place your animals in danger. Events like these could happen at any time, so it is critical that you prepare now to ensure that your animals are protected. For further information, visit the RSPCA (Victoria) website.

Please click on the link below for more information: