Environment nuisance control

Noise is an accepted part of living in a built-up environment. Unreasonable noise, however, is not.

Council and the local police play a role in limiting the impact of unreasonable noise on neighbouring properties. The first and best approach for dealing with noisy neighbours is to discuss the problem directly with them. Your neighbours may not be aware that their behaviour is disturbing you and talking to them may result in changes that will benefit both parties.

Section 48A(5) of the Environment Protection Act defines noise as being unreasonable if certain items of equipment are audible in a habitable room of a neighbour's house outside of prescribed hours. The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) Noise Schedule specifies the items of equipment and the prohibited hours are included in the Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2008.

What if the problem persists?

If initial talks with your neighbour do not resolve the problem, there are other options available.

You can contact council on 03 5258 1377. You may be asked to keep a diary of the noise affecting you over a period of time. Refer to the Complaints page.

If the noise is occurring outside of Council's working hours, please contact the local police on 03 5258 4285.

If a breach of the regulations is found to have occurred, a warning letter will be sent in the first instance. Failure to comply may result in enforcement action being undertaken.